John P. Frayne, ed., Uncollected
Prose by W. B. Yeats, Vol. 1: First Reviews and Articles, 1886-1896 (London: Macmillan 1970).
Front papers: Acknowledgments, 10; Preface, 11; Introduction; Sect. 1. Innisfree and Grub Street, 19; Sect. 2. Twilight Propaganda, 35; Sect. 3. Yeats
as Critic-Reviewer, 60. Bibliography, 425.
|Cf. - Contents of The Collected Works of W.B. Yeats, Volume IX: Early Articles and Reviews Uncollected Articles and Reviews Written Between 1886 and 1900, ed. by John P. Frayne & Madeleine Marchaterre (NY: Scribner 2004) - as attached.
|Articles & Reviews by W. B. Yeats
- The Poetry of Sir Samuel Ferguson - I (Irish Fireside, Oct.
9, 1886), p.81
- The Poetry of Sir Samuel Ferguson - II (Dublin University Review,
Nov. 1886), p.87.
- The Poetry of R. D. Joyce (Irish Fireside, Nov. 27, Dec. 4,
- Clarence Mangan (Irish Fireside, March 12, 1887), p.114.
- Miss Tynans New Book [review of Shamrocks] (Irish Fireside,
July 9, 1887), p.119.
- The Prose and Poetry of Wilfred Blunt [review of Love Sonnets
of Proteus] (United Ireland, Jan. 28, 1888), p.122.
- Irish Fairies, Ghosts, Witches, &c. (Lucifer, Jan. 15, 1889),
- Irish Wonders [review of D. R. McAnallys Irish Wonders (Scots Observer, March 30, 1889), p.138.
- William Carleton [review of Red-Haired Mans Wife (Scots
Observer, Oct. 19, 1889), p.141.
- Popular Ballad Poetry of Ireland (Leisure Hour, Nov. 1889),
- Bardic Irelard [review of S. Bryants Celtic Ireland (Scots
Observer, Jan. 4, 1890), p.162.
- Carleton as an Irish Historian (Nation, Jan. 11, 1890), p.166.
- Tales from the Twilight [review of Lady Wildes Ancient
Cures] (Scots Observer, March 1, 1890), p.169.
- Poetry and Science in Folk-Lore (Academy, Oct. 11, 1890), p.173.
- Irish Fairies (Leisure Hour, Oct. 1890), p.175.
- An Exhibition at William Morriss [review] (Providence Sunday
Journal, Oct. 26, 1890), p.182.
- Irish Folk Tales [review of D. Hydes Beside the Fire] (National Observer, Feb. 28, 1891), p. 186.
- Plays by an Irish Poet [review of J. Todhunters A Sicilian
Idyll] (United Ireland, July 11, 189I), p.190.
- Clarence Mangans Love Affair (United Ireland, Aug. 22,
- A Reckless Century (Irish Rakes and Duellists) (United Ireland,
Sept. 12, 1891), p.198.
- Oscar Wildes Last Book [review of Lord Arthur
Saviles Crime] (United Ireland, Sept. 26, 1891), p.202.
- The Young Ireland League (United Ireland, Oct. 3, 1891), p.206.
- A Poet We Have Neglected [review of W. Allinghams collected
poems] (United Ireland, Dec. 12, 1891), p.[?]
- The New Speranza [on Maud Gonne] (United Ireland, Jan. 16, 1892), p.212.
- Dr. Todhunters Irish Poems [review of The Banshee [United
Ireland, Jan. 23, 1892), p.215.
- Clovis Huges on Ireland (United Ireland, Jan. 30, 1892), p.218.
- The Irish Intellectual Capital: Where Is It? (United Ireland,
May 14, 1892), p.222.
- Sight and Song [review of M. Fields Sight and Song] (Bookman,
July 1892), p.225.
- Some New Irish Books [review of books by G. Savage-Armstrong,
W. Larminie, and R. J. Reilly] (United Ireland, July 23, 1892),
- The Irish Literary Society, London (United Ireland, July 30,
- Dublin Scholasticism and Trinity College (United Ireland, July
30, 1892), p.231.
- A New Poet [review of E. J. Elliss Fate in Arcadia] (Bookman,
Sept. 1892), p.234.
- Noetry and Poetry [review of G. Savage-Armstrongs
collected poems] (Bookman, Sept. 1892), p.237.
- New Irish Library Controversy (Freemans Journal, Sept.
6-10, 1892), p.239.
- National Literary Society, Libraries Scheme (United Ireland,
Sept. 24, 1892), p.244.
- Invoking the Irish Fairies (Irish Theosophist, Oct. 1892), p.245.
- Hopes and Fears for Irish Literature (United Ireland, Oct. 15,
- The Death of Oenone [review of Tennyson poems] (Bookman, Dec.
- The De-Anglicizing of Ireland (United Ireland, Dec. 17, 1892),
- Ellen OLeary [introduction to her poems, 1892], p.256.
- William Allingham [introduction to his poems, 1892], p.258.
- The Vision of MacConglinne [review of Kuno Meyers edition,
Feb. 1893), p.261.
- The Wandering Jew [review of R. Buchanans poem] (Bookman,
April 1893), p.263.
- Nationality and Literature (United Ireland, May 27, 1893), p.266.
- A Bundle of Poets [review of A. H. Hallams poems, &c.] (Speaker, July 22, 1893), p.276.
- The Writings of William Blake [review of L. Housmans selection] (Bookman, Aug., 1893), p.280.
- The Message of the Folk-lorist [article & review of T. F.
Dyers The Ghost World] (Speaker, Aug. 19, 1893), p.283.
- Two Minor Lyrists [review of poems by J. D. Hosken and F. M.
Ford] (Speaker, Aug. 26, 1893), p.288.
- Old Gaelic Love Songs [review of D. Hydes Love Songs of
Connacht] (Bookman, Oct. 1893), p.292.
- The Ainu [review of B. D. Howards Life with Trans-Siberian
Savages] (Speaker, Oct. 7, 1893), p.295.
- Interview with Mr. W. B. Yeats (Irish Theosophist, Oct. 15,
- Reflections and Refractions [review of C. Weekess poems] (Academy, Nov. 4, 1893), p.302.
- The Silenced Sister (United Ireland, Dec. 23 and Dec. 30, 1893),
- Michael Clancy, the Great Dhoul, and Death (The Old Country,
Christmas 1893), p.310.
- Seen in Three Days [review of E. J. Elliss poem] (Bookman,
7 Feb. 1894), p.317.
- Symbolical Drama in Paris [review of Villiers de lIsle-Adams
Axel] (Bookman, April 1894), p.320.
- The Evangel of Folk-Lore [review of W. Larminies West
Irish Folk Tales] (Bookman, June 1894), p.326.
- The Rose of Shadow (Speaker, July 21, 1894), p.328.
- Some Irish National Books [review of books by M. MacDermott,
E. M. Lynch, and C. OKelly] (Bookman, Aug. 1894), p.332.
- A New Poet [review of A.E.s Homeward Songs by the Way] (Bookman, Aug. 1894), p.335.
- [The New Irish Library] (United Ireland, Sept. 1, 1894), p.339.
- An Imaged World [review of E. Garnetts prose poems] (Speaker,
Sept. 8, 1894), p.344.
- The Stone and the Elixir [review of F. E. Garretts translation
of Ibsens Brand] (Bookman, Oct. 1894), p.344.
- Professor Dowden and Irish Literature - I (Daily Express, Dublin,
Jan. 26, 1895, and Feb. 7, 1895), p.346.
- Battles Long Ago [review of S. OGradys Coming of
Cuculain] (Bookman, Feb. 1895), p.350.
- Professor Dowden and Irish Literature - II (Dublin Daily Express,
March 8, 1895), p.351.
- An Excellent Talker [review of Wildes Woman of No Importance] (Bookman, March 1895), p.354.
- The Thirty Best Irish Books (United Ireland, March 16, 1895),
- Dublin Mystics [review of A E.s Homward Songs by the Way [2nd 356 ed.] and J. Eglintons Two Essays on the Remnant] (Bookman, May 1895).
- The Story of Early Gaelic Literature [review of D. Hydes
history] (Bookman, June 1895), p.358.
- Irish National Literature, I [From Callanan to Carleton] (Bookman,
July 1895), p.359.
- The Three Sorrows of Story-telling [review of D. Hydes
translations] (Bookman, July 1895), p.364.
- Irish National Literature, II [Contemporary Prose Writers] (Bookman,
Aug. 1895), p.366.
- That Subtle Shade [review of Symons London Nights] (Bookman,
Aug. 1895), p.373.
- Irish National Literature, III [Contemporary Irish Poets] (Bookman,
375 Sept. 1895), p. [?]
- Irish National Literature, IV [A List of the
Best Irish Books] (Bookman, Oct. 1895), p.382.
- The Life of Patrick Sarsfield [review of J. Todhunters
biography] (Bookman, Nov. 1895), p.387.
- The Binding of the Hair (Savoy, Jan. 1896), p.390.
- William Carleton [review of Carletons autobiography] (Bookman,
March 1896), p.394.
- Verlaine in 1894 (Savoy, April 1896), p.397.
- William Blake [review of R. Garnetts book] (Bookman, April
- An Irish Patriot [review of Lady Fergusons biography of
Sir Samuel Ferguson] (Bookman, May 1896), p.403.
- The New Irish Library [review of books by R. A. King, J. F.
Taylor, and C. G. Duffy] (Bookman, June 1896), p.406.
- Greek Folk Poesy [review of L. Garnetts collection] (Bookman,
Oct. 1896), p.409.
- The Cradles of Gold (Senate, Nov. 1896), p.413.
- The Well at the Worlds End [review of William Morriss
romance] (Bookman, Nov. 1896), p.418.
- Miss Fiona Macleod as a Poet [review of Macleods [William
Sharps] From the Hills of Dream] (Bookman, Dec. 1896), p.421.